UPDATE: With the latest tools, you no longer need to follow the arduous steps discussed in this post. All blog pacakge comes with a premium plugin that makes the installation quick and easy. You only need to create a MySQL database and then upload the blog installation files to your webhost.
No more messing with codes, SQL file, and myPHPadmin.
There are two ways to do this: 1) manual installation by uploading the WordPress files on the server and 2) automatic installation using the Fantastico De Luxe or Quick Install (HostGator).
Please refer to the manual on “WordPress Installation Using Fantastico De Luxe”
If you are on HostGator refer to “WordPress Installation Using QuickInstall”
For this tutorial, I’m going to put this blog file on a sub-directory using manual WordPress installation.
Step by Step Tutorial
- Go to File Manager on your CPanel.
- Upload the still zipped WordPress platform files which you should have downloaded it earlier from WordPress.org.
- After successful upload, right click your mouse over the file and click extract.
- Since we’re going to install WordPress in a sub-directory, I’ll extract it on the main directory. A directory called WordPress will be automatically created after extraction.
- Right click your mouse over the WordPress file and rename that to whatever you wish. In this case since I’m installing a weight loss blog, I renamed it as weight-loss so that my resulting site address would be http://www.biabranding.com/weightloss/
- Type your resulting site url to your browser address bar. (Or simply copy and paste).
- Click Enter on your keypad. You should now see something like this:
- Click “Create a Configuration File” button then follow the prompts until you come to this point:
- Now this is where you will use the database name, database username, and password which you should have noted in STEP 1, when you created a new MySQL database.
- Copy paste your database details as needed and then click “Submit” button. If everything is done right then you should see this page.
- All right spookey doo! Yehaaa! Simply click “Run the install” button and everything should be easy to follow from this point onwards.
- When you arrive at this page, simply fill it up with anything just for compliance. You will be replacing this later through the PhPMyAdmin panel anyway. This will be overridden on STEP 6.
- Click “Install WordPress“. Success! You don’t even need to login at this point.